Monday, December 22, 2008

1940-something to 2008...times have changed? Maybe not.

My Grandpa tells a story in his memoire about my Grandma back when they were relative newlyweds. My Grandpa was an inventor/farmer, and a forward thinking man. So when he built their home in the late 1930's he wired it for electricity, even though it was not yet available in their rural area.

He relates the day some years later, when walking up the lane from a day in the fields, that he sees my Grandma- then a young 1940's housewife- running and skipping down the lane towards him, while behind her shone the bright lights provided by their new hydro service, gleaming out of every room of the house! Her joy and pleasure was shining out of her face with the same brilliance of the new lightbulbs throughout their house.

This story sticks in my mind and memory...not only b/c it's hard to equate that young housewife with the much older, calm, and roly-poly Grandma of my memories with the picture he paints, but b/c it struck me then how unappreciative our generation is of all our blessings. Want some light? Flick a switch. Want some heat? Turn up the thermostat.

Today I appreciate. Today I am that (somewhat older than she was) happy housewife, basking in the heat of our new furnace. Today I remembered to thank my Father for His precious blessings.

I rolled out of bed, and as my feet hit the floor, I realized how warm that floor was. Not to mention the air above the floor! For the first time in almost 2 years, the heat was not dependant upon my lighting a fire, coaxing it to life, then shivering over the top of our woodstove until the heat expanded through the downstairs.

I am spoiled. Spoiled beyond my imagining. Help me to appreciate, Father. Help me to treasure your gifts.

1 comment:

Ericanaysha said...

It's so true we have to remember to be thankful for the little things as well as the large ones.

That is awesome that your g-pa has a memoire. What a great treasure!